Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Homemade Pinot Noir tasting notes and Hellenbock status update


Quick refresher: Made 12 bottles of this:
I got the grape juice from this:
Then, I put it all together inside of this: 

Now, the moment of truth came. I opened the first "immediate consumption" bottle after the recommended 2 weeks in a bottle passed. Poured it into the glass, tasted and...not good. Tasted very much like a 1-note wine with very heavy tanning flavors. I called my father who has made wine from scratch in his youth and told him of my failure. He told me not to be discouraged, that he could maybe help me with the next batch despite his lack of experience with this particular kit. Feeling less disheartened, I got off the phone and took another sip and wow! I had forgotten to let the wine aerate, which basically means that once the wine is in the glass and comes in contact with the air, it opens up and its flavors develop. Most expensive wine has a recommended period of aeration which is usually about an hour. While my wine is nowhere near as fancy, that second sip was entirely different than the first one. Encouraged, I let it sit in the glass for another half an hour before returning to it. Just smelling the wine in the class confirmed that indeed, the wine had opened up and even an untrained nose like mine could detect a berry and oaky aroma. 
Tasting notes: Medium ruby; silky mouth-feel, pleasant, sweet, bright cherry, raspberry, and strawberry fruit aromas with spicy, oaky flavors, deep, medium-to-full body, with a smooth, but short finish. 
Overall, I was pleased. So much so that after having half a glass of Lindeman's Australian Shiraz with dinner, I decided to go back to the Pinot, since I thought it had a more complex bouquet, something I had not expected to think about wine made using this rather amateurish method. I am soon going to get started on my next Artful Winemaker adventure, namely Pinot Grigio. My other source of excitement is that last week I put my eight 1-Liter bottles of Hellenbock in the fridge for what they call "lagering" (the final stage of the brewing process). In 1 week from today, I should have homemade beer, hopefully something that resembles Hellenbock, the German-style beer I am trying to make, for which I used German Hops.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't expect a good result, But if you think it is good...
    Looking foward to hearing about the beer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I tried to stay positive. Like my father said though, if it wasn't drinkable, who would buy their product? I mean, my dream is to one day make wine from scratch, even if still inside my own home and not at a winery, but for a first try, I actually can say I am happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delish! Hope I can try some someday..!

    ReplyDelete